If you have questions at any time, please call 517-741-0202 our staff can walk you through the application. Our goal is to provide you with as much assistance as you need to successfully access both utility assistance and self-sufficiency services that we provide.
Please read all steps before moving forward! Let's get started!
Step 1: Complete United Way of Jackson County’s Self-Sufficiency Application.
• Please click here to fill out an application online.
• Please click here if you want an application emailed to you.
• Please click here to fill out your address and have an application mailed to you.
Step 2: Fill out an application for State Emergency Relief (SER) with MDHHS - THIS STEP IS REQUIRED. If you do not receive an SER, your application can be denied.
• After you submit our application you will be directed to the SER application.
• Make sure you verify your identity so your letters can be viewed.
• Please record CP ID 249341-003, to add as your Navigator when completing the SER Application.
• You will be asked to "Share Information" with the United Way - there are three boxes you can choose to check (Tip: If you check all three, we can help you the most).
• If you have already applied for and received an approved SER since October 1, you do not need to apply for another one. You will need to upload a picture of the SER decision Letter.
The self-sufficiency services we offer are as follows (you must be approved for SER through the State of Michigan before we can enroll you in an Affordable Payment Plan):
• Enrollment into an Affordable Payment Plan (APP) with Consumers Energy, DTE, SEMCO and UPPCO
• One time payment made to utility providers that do not offer Affordable Payment plans, Propane, Wood and other alternative fuel sources.
• Needs Assessment and Short Term Case Management – this includes figuring out what your needs are beyond utility assistance (home weatherization, payment notices from your utility provider, food assistance, etc.) and developing a plan to address those needs.
• One-to-one budget coaching over the phone with one of our staff.
• Access to our private Facebook group where you will have the opportunity to get incentives such as $25 gift cards for participating in that group.
• Monthly Tips Email with information on how to save money on your utility bill and where to get assistance with other services in your community.
• Assistance with completing the Home Heating Credit form.
• eHome America Money management – online course that takes 1-1.5 hours and gives you information on managing your personal finances, credit scores, etc. You will receive an incentive for completing this course online.
We look forward to working with you this year!
Program Assistance Center (PAC)